What are the main characteristics of NB-IoT?
NB-IoT follows the requirements set in the 3GPP standard.
The requirements set forth in the standard include:
- Long battery life (according to 3GPP estimates up to 10 years with the equivalent of two AA batteries assuming infrequent data transfers)
- Reuse of RAN assets (target is to upgrade elements of base station primaritly via SW update)
- Deep indoor penetration (+20dB compared to GSM)
- Low radio module unit costs (<5$ as industry goal)
- High security (LTE-based)
- Low data rates (600 bit/s up to 250 kbit/s
- Licensed spectrum
- Several power saving features