SIM card - IMSI used?

• Hello,

We are using a number of test SIM cards and noticed that IMEI is leading (we expected the IMSI to be leading).
    Now we are still in a test phase and it is not that important, however we are looking at live deployments as well.

For real customers
    How do we block a customer? Using the IMEI only disables the device itself and does not disable the SIM card and its connectivity. So how does it work within TMO?

Thanks
    Laurens

• Deutsche Telekom IoT

Good question!

If you remove an IMEI number the sim-card will keep the possibility to attach to the mobile network. However

• the network will not process the device data because the IMEI is not registered

• there will be no cost-charging for it, because we only charge based on registered IMEI’s

So removing an IMEI is the only thing you need to do to ‘block’ a connection.

• Thanks Afzal,

Do I understand correct that if you have an account only the registered IMEIs are costs-charged? So e.g. :

• Somebody steals my SIM cards,

• I deregister the related IMEIs in our account and we are no longer charged once deregistered

• The thiefs could re-use the SIM card in their own TMO account and be charged for usage 🙂
      (and in the end we only need to get some new SIMs?)

Is that how it works?

• Deutsche Telekom IoT

Yeap!

The thief can only re-use the sim-card when he registeres his own IMEI number and used the sim with his IMEI.